knittedstudent

Now what?

Monday, December 04, 2006

Freaky

So, I kind of thought that a good majority of modern society had realized that if you're really serious about getting married, you have the rest of your life to do it. Um, finish college first? Establish yourSELF in a job, hobbies, anything like that? Why must so many people rush off and get married at 19, 20, etc.? If I came home and said "hi parents, guess what? I'm getting married next week even though I probably can't find a job that would adequately pay my bills and I'm nowhere near being finished with college," they would look at me like I had lost my mind and would probably lock me in my room and nail the door shut until I regained my senses. It just really freaks me out that I'm going to start meeting people my age soon who are married. I mean it's not like I want to wait until I'm 40, but I cannot say that I am ready to be completely out on my own yet, which is one of the attributes I think of when I think of marriage - completely independent of parents, financially and maturely speaking - obviously there are some people who still need their parents' guidance in terms of "don't do that, that's stupid!" It just kind of feels to me like that's why there are so many failed marriages nowadays, because people get infatuated and rush into something that they weren't prepared for. Give it some time, honestly it can wait. It feels like the only reason to do it is a hormone cattle call which is not really a good reason to devote the rest of your life to another person. I thought that marrying young was something best left in the 1950's, but I guess I was wrong. How freaky is that?

Oh, and have you heard of birth control? Why is there pressure to have a baby right after the wedding? You're going to spend plenty of time with the kid, why not spend some alone time with the spouse first so that you don't end up married to someone you barely know when you're 50 and the kids have moved out? That seems like a really big decision to me. Especially to someone who's 20.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home