knittedstudent

Now what?

Thursday, February 22, 2007

I think I know my problem...

I feel like part of the reason that I have no idea what I want to do, and the reason that it upsets me a lot, is that everyone tells you that you can do whatever you want when you're like 6, but as soon as you start to get old enough to really have any ideas of what you want to do everyone suddenly tells you to be realistic and tries to push you into the "safe" careers like being a doctor, lawyer, business person, teacher. I know they're just trying to make sure that I can easily get a job, and that they're looking out for my well-being, in terms of salary, etc., but now I have the idea that any job that I might actually enjoy is just too dangerous or impossible in my head and I'm coming up with reasons why they would be horrible choices for me or why they would make me unhappy. Another part of the reason is that I'm trying to plan out the "far future" already even though that's just going to stress me out more now since I know that complex plans hardly ever work out the way you want. I guess I just need to learn to be a little selfish for now instead of trying to provide and take care of everyone else all the time.

1 Comments:

At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your life will unfold in a way that may take you on some unplanned side trips, but each will be a gift, whether new experiences, new friends or special events. It's only when you look back that you realize how the person you become is a result of all those side trips that you didn't plan on! Do not fear... it's going to be such an adventure! Think of it that way, and it doesn't sound so scary. love you, mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home